Company coming for dinner? Greet them with this simple Greek-inspired Hors d’Oeuvre. Warm, delicious and low carb.
Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
- 12 mushroom caps (Button is fine, but Baby Bella or crimini is better)
- 1 Package chopped spinach (squeezed dry)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano or basil
- 1 Medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, divided
- salt (1/2 for the caps, 1/2 for the spinach)
- pepper (1/2 for the caps, 1/2 for the spinach)
- garlic powder (1/2 for the caps, 1/2 for the spinach)
- parsley (1/2 for the caps, 1/2 for the spinach)
||Preheat oven to 350 degrees. |
||Clean the mushroom caps and remove stems. Lightly salt and pepper the inside of the caps. |
||Sauté the sliced onion in the oil |
||Combine onions with the squeezed spinach, lemon juice and half of the bread crumbs and half of the parmesan cheese. Add salt, pepper, garlic and divide evenly among the mushroom caps. |
||Top with remaining bread crumbs and parmesan cheese |
||Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is lightly browned. |
Each serving has approximately 3g Net Carbohydrates.
Chef Ward Alper is type 2 Diabetic who lives and eats DECADENTLY in Portland, Maine. Since his diagnosis more than four years ago he has refocused his recipes and eating to support his Diabetes health. He has maintained a consistent A1C of 5.2-5.3, while still enjoying the pleasures of eating. Chef Alper has been a professional chef in both New York City and Boston, Massachusetts.
He has a website, www.thedecadentdiabetic.com, where he shares stories and recipes with his fellow Diabetes and encourages them to expand their choices and take back their life and their table. His articles and recipes appear on Top Diabetes sites as well in medical newsletters across the United States. He is working with a major New York publisher towards publishing a cookbook so he can share with more Diabetics that you can take back your life and your table while still eating a Diabetic Diet and be DECADENT to boot!